The pioneer of upvc rooftile manufacturing in Iran!
Sales unit Connection
If you are a fan of Mediterranean architecture, then you will love clay terracotta tiles. They are very popular and enhance the aesthetics of the buildings. In this article we are going to cover most important tips on clay roof tiles in Oman.
Clay tiles for roofing are molded clay and baked in high temperature. The process will bake clay tiles and fix the color on them. It does not let the color peel or fade away.
The most popular and well known type of clay roofs is called Terra-Cotta. Generally, clay roofs are also called Spanish tiles – as they are used largely in countries like Spain and South America.
What are the important factors you need to consider when installing clay tiles in hot climate? What is the main difference of installing Oman roofing tiles and other places? We are going to answer the questions in this article.
Oman has dry and hot climate with dusty wind. Better to say Dubai has cooler weather than Oman. It is a desert oasis and most of the year sunny with very few rainy months. Why is it important? Well, in order to choose the best Roofing tiles in Oman; you need to consider the climate and know the best insulation with good protection layers.
There are wide variety of styles for clay roof tiles in Oman. Mediterranean clay tile roofs -Spanish barrel roofs – French, mission, rounded pan and flat tiles.
Although the thickness of clay tiles makes it slower to transfer the heat to other layers of the roof; but it needs additional insulation to repel the heat from lower parts of the roof.
As clay roofs make curb appeal and give an ancient look to the property, they are mostly used in recreational places and residential villas.
How long does clay roof tile last in hot climate?
Generally clay roofs have long lifespan between 50 to 100 years. But if they are in constant exposure of sun as in Oman or other hot places, their life expectancy will be reduced.
The average cost of clay tile roofing in 2023 is between $25 and $45 – global price. This price depends mostly on the size and slope of the roof. The average prices include materials and labor costs, too.
Other factors that effect on clay tiles are: weight, quality & styles of clay tiles – underlayment & thermal insulating materials, fastening, etc.
Clay roof tile price in Oman is anywhere between $2 – $4 (per piece).
Here is the most well-known roof tile suppliers in Oman:
Muscat Ceramic – Mascat – Salalah – Dhofar – Sultanate of Oman, Lava Cont & Trd – Attapulgite Clay / also known as Salt Water Clay, SAOG, etc.
Advantages of Clay Roof Tiles in Oman
1. The heaviness of clay tiles might be an advantage, too; since it can prevent the wind from lifting the clay tiles off the building.
2. Clay roofs have excellent resistant to fire.
3. Eco-friendly and recyclable
4. Different styles such as: Terracotta/ Mediterranean, French, Spanish, mission styles, etc.
Disadvantages of Clay Roof Tiles in Oman
Clay roof tiles have some considerable disadvantages, too.
1. They are very heavy tiles, expensive, not easy to install. Although durable, but brittle and can crack easily – especially when walked on. Clay tiles for roofs weigh around 2 to 4 times more than conventional asphalt roofing tiles.
2. Water will eventually find its way under the tiles as they do not have much resistant to moisture. Hence, with clay installation, waterproofing membrane is required too.
3. Due to their heaviness, handling and installing clay roof tiles is difficult.
4. In some cases the roof may require reinforcement or additional substructure to support the heavy tiles.
5. Cost of maintenance is high.
6. Due to high temperature and intense sunlight, the color of the clay tiles in Oman can fade over time and it is difficult to restore it.
7. Pitch limitation
Read more: glazed clay roof tiles
Studies have shown that the market for uPVC Roofing tiles will be in the multi-billions of dollars in the near future – since they have wide usage in residential, commercial and industrial structures.
Use of UPVC material is growing fast in building construction industry and it is for a good reason: They are lighter, cheaper, durable and more flexible roof tiles than clay, ceramic or concrete – to use in Oman or other hot areas.
Sepidfam Varna manufactures UPVC roof tiles in retail and wholesale from Iran to Oman, Dubai, Kuwait, and all the Middle East countries.
Thickness of theses tiles delays the heating process under the sun. Hence it takes longer to absorb the heat back into your home.
1. Exposure to constant heat and UV rays can gradually dry out clay roofs. Whereas with protective layers of uPVC roof sheets, you will worry neither about the color changing nor tile cracking.
2. Clays and Concretes are not resistant to water, hence leaking may happen. But in UPVC roofs – Due to its high wave and excellent overlapping – there will be no penetration of water in the tiles.
Water absorption is higher in clay roof tiles in Oman. that means the tiles are getting heavier and this will have pressure on the roof. If the substructures cannot handle the extra weight, then serious problems may occur.
3. As clay tiles are heavy, they require man power and specialty to be installed. But uPVC roof tiles are lightweight and easy to handle and install.
4. Clay roofs are expensive, UPVC roof sheets are cheap/cost-effective.
5. Clay tiles are brittle. they can crack if not cared. UPVC will not be damaged easily as they are an anti-impact and rigid sheets.
6. Clay roofing tiles need to be washed frequently – as mold, algae and dirt can be build up over time. UPVC sheets are self-cleaning tiles and they do not allow any bacteria, molds or plants to grow on. Furthermore, rainwater can wash away its dust and make it clean.
7. Clay roof tiles in Oman need extra insulation layer – as they trap heat between the tiles in hot summer. UPVC roof tile does not need additional insulation materials since it provides them in its own layer.
8. No bacteria, algae or mold can grow on UPVC roof sheets.
UPVC sheets are widely used in the roofs and walls of the industrial sheds and warehouses – factories producing corrosive gases and chemicals – livestock farms and fish ponds, sanitary and chemical sheds, roof of villas and houses, carports and shelters, shades and awnings, etc.
Sepidfam Varna is the first manufacturer of uPVC roof & wall sheets in Iran. We are the supplier of uPVC tiles, wall coating and Eco-Panels and ship them across the world.
Our company’s products are designed and manufactured especially for areas with hot climate such as cities of the United Arab Emirates, Oman, Qatar, Doha, etc.
For more information on UPVC products and price of uPVC roof & wall sheets, please contact us.
Phone No: +98 912 962 9521
Due to extreme heat in places such as the United Arab Emirates, Oman, Qatar, etc., the thermal insulation of the roofs must be effective and resistant to heat and UV rays. Not only should it repel the heat but should keep the area under the roof, cool.
UPVC roof sheets are as durable as clay roof tiles in Oman. They can last on average 50 years in hot weather – If installed properly.
We export our uPVC products to all countries. Varna group has (specifically) suppliers in the Middle East who distribute the sheets easily and at a lower price.
Yes, indeed. Heavy weight and the way these tiles are produced and installed, make clay tiles more expensive than uPVC sheets.
Trapezoidal uPVC roof sheets have 2 layers. With UV layer protection against extreme heat and excellent insulation to keep the roof cool.
Effective width is 100 cm – Length can be up to 12 m (up to clients’ choice) –
Wide range of colors – the weight is from 3 kg to 10 kg.
For more info visit our website: en.varna-group.com
Clay tiles may shake on steep roofs. Gable roofs, between 20 – 30 degree slopes require extra underlayment. For slopes greater than 30, clay tiles are not advised. Instead, you can use UPVC sheets for high-pitched roofs – as well as curved and flat roofs